Language, Literacy and Essential Skills for Employment (LLESE) is a full-time, tuition-based ESL employment preparation program. Our goal is to help students progress in achieving their Individual Career & Training plan by providing English-language training that has a practical application to common workplace contexts. Students complete the program with increased language and literacy skills in addition to an increase in their Workplace Essential Skills.
The program curriculum has been enhanced to place emphasis on:
- Academic Language Skills Development
- Literacy Skills Development
- Workplace Essential Skills
- Cross-Cultural Communication Skills
These elements will provide learners with a greater chance of being successful in finding and maintaining employment in the Canadian workplace.
- Our Staff evaluate learners’ language progress using the Canadian Language Benchmark method of evaluation. We measure each learner’s language competency frequently and rigorously.
- Our research indicates that, on average, our learners are progressing about 15% faster than expected in terms of their language development as measured by the CLB.
- Literacy learners progress at a slower rate than non-literacy learners because of the complexity of learning a second language and developing academic/literacy skills. Our program is unique in Alberta because we are the only institution offering full-time funded ESL programs aimed at literacy learners.
- Each class has an objective that fits within a framework of monthly teaching goals. Our curriculum is designed to align these learning objectives with Workplace Essentials Skills and the Canadian Language Benchmarks.